Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hundreds gather to honor fallen soldier

Today my heart goes out to the family of SPC Torre, who died last week in Iraq.  His body arrived stateside in California yesterday, and the OC Register wrote a very nice article documenting the event.  I've read about soldiers dying overseas, but I have never had close connections to them like I do to Torre.  His was the first death in DB's brigade since they've deployed.  It comes as a shock because things are calming down over there, but it is still very much a war zone.  DB is always working inside the wire, so I sleep ok at night, but I feel for the families of the men that stick out their necks every day on patrols.  Death is a reality of war, but none that anyone would wish to go through.  I hope the men in his unit are coping as best they can during this hard time.

May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

All gave some, some gave all.  Thank you for your service SPC Torre.

No comments:

Post a Comment